OCTOMARC - Advanced PVD Deposition System
STATON,s.r.o. is a producer of automated deposition systems based on physical vapor deposition (PVD) for coating of tools and other mechanical parts. It is focused on the production of variable devices using technology: cathodic ARC evaporation and magnetron sputtering or a combination of both technologies in a single vacuum system.
Cathodic ARC deposition
Cathodic ARC deposition is PVD process in which applying of a high current and low voltage on the surface of a target causes formation of cathodic spot with extremely high temperature (15 000°C) leading to vaporize material from a target. The arc has an extremely high power density resulting in a high level of ionization (30-100%), multiple charged ions, neutral particles, clusters and macro-particles (droplets). Surface of the coatings is less smooth (size and number of droplets can be decreased using filtered ARC cathode). Deposition rate is very high (several micrometers per hour)
Magnetron sputtering is PVD process when a target is bombarded by energetic ions (Ar+) generated in glow discharge plasma, situated in front of the target. The bombardment process causes the removal of target atoms, which may then condense on a substrate as a thin film. Level of ionization of sputtered atoms is low (up to 10%). In contrast to cathodic ARC evaporation, droplets do not form during sputtering, surface of the coatings is smooth. Deposition rate is lower (2-3 micrometers per hour).
High power impulse magnetron sputtering (HiPPMS)
The HIPIMS power supply operates at average power comparable to direct current (DC) or middle frequency (MF) power supplies but the discharge is pulsed with a low duty cycle, resulting in peak power and current up to some megawatts or some kiloamperes, respectively. The high peak power or current densities at the cathode are required to get a significant amount of target material ionized. During ion cleaning, ions from targets are accelerated by applying of negative high substrate bias (1kV) on the substrate and are implanted a few nanometers under the surface. It leads to significant improvement of adhesion also at low deposition temperatures. Furthermore, the ionized target material results in a significant modification or improvement of the properties of the growing films regarding film density, hardness, roughness, etc.
OCTOMARC system – Features
- Wide range of hard coatings with superior quality (monolithic, superlattices, nanocomposite coatings based on CrN, TiN, TiAlN, TiAlCrN, TiSiN, TiAlSiN, CrAlN, NbN, ZrN, etc.)
- Suitable for a large selection of substrates – cutting tools, automotive parts (bearings, pistons, gear components, etc.), dies and molds for all manner of material processing, medical and surgical tools, decorative products, special products (coin dies, firearms, etc.) and many more
- STATON® arc cathode technology with implemented solutions for minimization of incorporation of macroparticles into the deposited film
- 3 - 10 arc evaporators or up to 6 planar unbalanced magnetrons in one vacuum chamber – wide variety in coatings during one deposition process
- High plasma density and high degree of ionization of evaporated metal species (80-100% for arc) – excellent adhesion
- Deposition coatings below 200°C with min. number of droplets (using filtered arc or HiPIMS)
- Auxiliary cathode for extensive substrate cleaning and pretreatment for exceptional coating adhesion
- DC/Pulse arc power supplies
- DC and HiPIMS (optional) magnetron power supplies
- DC and pulsed DC (optional) bias power supplies with advanced arc management
- Distribution of three gases through mass flow controllers
- External substrate heating (up to 500°C)
- Computer controlling of deposition processes
Combination of cathodic ARC evaporation and magnetron sputtering
Both PVD deposition techniques, vacuum cathodic arc evaporation and magnetron sputtering, can be conveniently combined in a single vacuum deposition system. Advantages of both methods can thus be utilized. Of course, also the combined system can be equipped with HiPIMS power source for deposition of advanced coating with unique properties.